maanantai 1. huhtikuuta 2013

Troll and NMM training


 Its been quiet in the painting front, I have not been really bothered to either play or paint as much as usually. I have been however practising NMM to the troll's trophies. They are supposed to be metal plates with engraved faces in them, so they are perfect for the task.

I have been doing them with rate of 1-2 / evening, trying to make adjustments based on previous evening. I have read some instructions of how NMM gold should be painted, but I also have been avoiding ready recipies now that I actually paint it. I'd rather find my own way even if it takes a bit longer.
Low right is the start, low left the last.

I started with vallejo plague brown basecoat and started to shade with GW washes (sepia and earthshade), but washes leave messy and dirty finnish, so I ditched that idea after the first try.


Half way there, needs more hightlights and desaturation
 So, I started glazing. Same basecoat, but shades with leather brown -> bestial brown -> scorched brown. Highlights with Iyanden darksun -> sunburst yellow. The end is pretty bland, and bestial brown seems a bit too red for gold. I also tried to be too smart, and invent reflections to where they weren't.
In the end I managed to get the colours to my liking, forgot reflections, and shaded and highlighted like normal surfaces. This started to be what I was looking for.
In the end I also realized that both extreme highlight and shadow needed some desaturation to stand out, this I did with pure white and black mixed to previous colour, which worked out quite well.
My NMM is still not nearly where it should be, and doesn't look like metal, but it is not so bad that I would want to paint over it, so it is not frustrating.
The trophies are done, but next step would be to go further with highlights and shadows, the metal quality is still not there.
Lisää kuvateksti

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti