torstai 16. lokakuuta 2014

Painting White

As promised, here is my way to paint colder white.
The paints I use are all from Vallejo:
Shadows: Blue Grey Pale
Midtones: Pale Greyblue
Highlights: Foundation white (any white will do)






 I start off by basecoating all white with Pale Greyblue.
After that I'll move to shadows with Blue Grey Pale. The 2 colours like each other, so blending is not neccesity if going for tabletop quality. With shadows I use 2 mixes, one "raw" for deepest shadows, and one mixed with Glaze Medium for where I need less coverage.
 

 After that I add highlights with pure white.
I paint it a little wider than I really need, as I usually go back to midtones as a last step to blend it better.
If in hurry, one could just stop here, the colours are complementing each other, so they look ok from distance as such.
Painting white sucks ass, it needs few coats even over such pale base. I use quite thick mix to make this step faster and fix all in the next step.
But, it is pretty fast to just go back to Pale Greyblue and paint the borders of white with very thinned down glaze.
Result will not stand closer inspection, but looks pretty dramatic from distance.

This method can obviously be modified for finer results by blending the colours in question to make smoother transitions.









1 kommentti:

  1. Thank you sir, I'll add this to my techniques! Let there be white!

    VastaaPoista